Once upon a time there was a farm owned by the Pyle family. Around 1910 H. G. Haskell Sr. was working in Wilmington and he bought the Pyle farm and several other small farms around it. He named this new farm Hill Girt Farm.
The big barn was built in the 1600’s and the main house in 1816. All the stone barns and stone walls were built in the 1920’s and 1930’s. Hill Girt Farm was a working dairy farm until 1972 when the last of the cattle were sold by Harry G. Haskell Jr. The tillable land has been leased to several crop farmers ever since.
In 1986 H. G. Haskell III borrowed equipment and planted his first crops on 6 acres. Sweet corn, tomatoes, peppers, raspberries and asparagus were planted the first year. On July 6th 1986 SIW Vegetables opened for business with a picnic table in the shade of a large Sycamore tree. It was self-service. Our first day brought in a little more than $11 in sales. How we've grown since then!
We now own all of our own equipment and grow over 30 different kinds of fruit and veggies on about 60 acres. All 60 acres have drip irrigation and fencing to keep the deer out. The bulk of the tillable land is still leased to a hay farmer.